Tuesday, February 16, 2010

You Replace My Stars

On a lighter note, this poem really makes me happy. The plot of the poem actually has very little to do with the reality of what happened, but imagination can go a long way.

You Replace My Stars 7/21/07

Your heart pounds against the palm of my anxious hand
Gently excited by the feeling of freedom
Walk with me softly
Quietly tread over the dark emerald grass
Fingers laced while swings sway in only the light of the stars
Eyes widened as adrenaline spikes
Looking through the trees expectantly
In a still pond where crickets sing in harmony
Your bright smile’s reflection
Is this what free feels like?
You stand with me not alone
By my side
If you’d always be there
Never could I go home
Your distance is something uncontrolled
You’ve given me your love
Or so I’ve been told
Apparently not if you’re gone
Over me
I thought it was them you chose
And so my dear fate has left me to stand
Alone with the stars who won’t hold my hand
Secretly wishing you’d come along and find me
And with those sweet stars I was ready to part
‘Til an icy rush of blood had shot through my heart
Unrecognizable skin brushed my back
Turning slowly now eye to eye
Relief retuned relaxation
My lips touched yours
What you told me was real
Though my mind overflowing with doubt
Receded now to belief
So let’s lay here forever
Here in each other’s arms
Until morning when we sneak in
To where our freedom’s taken
But stolen back when the sun can’t find us
And we slip out unnoticed again
The stars we follow
Across the street
Across the town
Across the border
Because away from home is our home
There we are free

No comments: