Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Fool Can Tell The Difference

This is the second, and longer, poem.

A Fool Can Tell The Difference 6/8/07

The way you looked past me yesterday
Searching distant and far away
Minds churning and wondering
My eyes turned down, worrying

Now I know you know now
And have known
Everyone else does too
But it wasn’t for you, or them
Or for me to do

A subtle knife stalks meticulously from afar
Waiting for its time to approach
You can never rid a lone deep scar
A wish can never make it a mere hoax

Look into a cold closed box
You’ll find it shivering
But from that box I will coax
Another try
A new beginning

Look at me
Look at me now
I could see past your safe-face
If you would only just look at me

Let me just open your book
And write the next few pages
I want to read what came before
I want to know the other side
I want to change what the future holds

Walk a mile
Then see
Why you did what you did to me
I’ll press on back
But unknowing still
Except the second mile was all up hill

If it ended now
It’d all be fine
I see the past was out of line
I see it all
The eternal hall
Host of memory after memory
Good accompanies bad
Don’t look back
Just forget
Forget

Look at me
And I would see
A different fire
So don’t
Don’t let me face that truth
Don’t let me face you

So spin me around
Because my world’s already spinning
Don’t bother trying to stop it
Only I can do it
I don’t know how
But I do know this
My fire’s still the same
No water can put it out
Don’t bother trying to do it
Only I can stop it
I don’t know how

Change is much too foreign
The future holds much change
Those hands hold only the future
Fine grains of the past
Slip through tight fingers
Steadfast in its path

I can still remember yesterday
An image invoking pain
Your look cut into me
Though your solitary look was through me

Look at me
Look at me now
You don’t know who I am
I am
Who wants you to recognize
Softly behind her delicate eyes
Struggling through desperate tries
To find what’s really inside
Knowing only
How to translate your safe-face
If you would only look at me

Forever
There’s a part of me left out
When I was pushed away
The fight to hold on
Thought escaped me
And all composure
Loosing track of your true-face
With that again, you will never look at me

Acquire your needle and thread
For no more tears I will shed
And hide my true-face

No comments: