Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Look in the Mirror

I am going to start off with my favorite poem that I have written to date (today, jan. 20).
I have dedicated this first poem to a good friend of mine, Chris, who has inspired me to be who I really am. He taught me so much more than I ever thought I could learn from someone I met in high school. I just wanted to say thank you. I am a better person because of you.

Here it is ("Look in the Mirror"):

5/17/07

Look in the mirror
You don’t know what you’ll find
There is a whole other world
On the other side
It is a place
Where that part of you can always hide

Don’t lock the windows
Don’t bolt the doors
Look past the hearth
We already know you’re coming

Walk in but don’t look back
It’s the past
It’s upside-down
When you see it from our perspective
Under work
You can’t drown

You won’t be afraid
On the outside
You won’t admit who you are
On the inside
Yet

Just go deeper
Because you haven’t found it
You will
Empty halls echo
But you continue on
Still

Years pass quickly
You’ll find the one you’re looking for
Hereafter
You find one from the past
The children there are overcome
With laughter
Don’t go!
But the sound fades
All the doors too
The walls are empty
All that’s left is you

A tear or two
Splash on the wooden floor
Turn back!
You can’t take it any more
The walls are closing in
The hall is getting thin

You don’t know what to do
But now I see the real you
That’s all we needed
That’s all it needed
The stiff walls crumble
On your way home you won’t stumble
Because you’re already there
Fixing your hair
In front of the mirror

1 comment:

Chris W. said...

My heart just melted a little.